Company: City of Bethel, Alaska
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Deadline: Duties and Responsibilities: **RELOCATION EXPENSES MAY
BE AVAILABLE** **HOUSING IS NOT PROVIDED** Essential Duties and
Responsibilities: Under the direction and supervision--of the City
Manager, the incumbent:--
- Plans, directs, manages, supervises and coordinates the
administration and operations of the Finance Department.
- Plans, evaluates and directs departmental policies, programs
and operations related to the financial and budgetary activities of
the City government.
- Directs the financial operations of the City by an established
central accounting system within commonly accepted governmental
- Prepares financial statements and cost reports at regular
- Directs the annual audit of the City's finances, both internal
- Prepares, oversees and directs the City's annual central,
operating, capital, enterprise, and other essential budgets with
regular monitoring and proactive adjustment to ensure compliance
with budget line items
- Directs the collection activity and custody of public
funds.Oversees the investment of City funds and the payment of bond
- Supervises the data processing functions to ensure that
required programming is in place and that necessary records and
reports are produced in a timely manner.
- Works with the Assistant Finance Director in the development
and cross-training of all department staff.
- Serves as the financial adviser to the City Council and
- Ability to oversee adequate staffing and training to over the
numerous responsibilities of the department which include, but are
not limited to, accounts payable, accounts receiving, sales tax,
business licenses, contract management, lease management, insurance
claims processing, payroll, utility billing, travel processing,
grant management, and purchasing Marginal Duties and
- Represents the City and/or the Department by preparing and
presenting information to City committees or commissions.
- Provides technical and policy information and assistance to
staff members and other City Departments.
- Promotes consumer friendly environment within the Department.
--**PLEASE READ THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS CAREFULLY**
Qualification Requirement.To perform the job successfully, an
individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily.The requirements listed in this job description are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree in accounting or B.A. from an accredited
institution with an emphasis in accounting, finance and/or directly
related field or equivalent education.
- A copy of transcripts conferring degree awarded must accompany
- Minimum Five (5) years' experience in finance and accounting
- A minimum of three (3) years in a supervisory capacity within a
finance or accounting environment.
- Experience with CASELLE, IRIS, Alaska Budget System (ABS) or
similar finance/accounting databases preferred.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Solid planning, budgeting skills, ability to train, maintain
peak performance and manage a 6 person staff.--
- problem solve and organizing/setting priorities critical to job
- Must be bondable at the time of hire (able to pass a thorough
background and credit check) **A combination of 4 years of direct
finance related education and experience may be substituted to
satisfy the educational requirements for this announcement**
- Masters Degree in--accounting from an accredited institution
with an emphasis in accounting, finance and/or directly related
field or equivalent education.
- Current Certified Public Accountant (CPA) At time of interview
applicant must submit :
- Most current performance evaluation, if available
- List of three (3) professional references with current daytime
phone numbers Please read the below information carefully. This
applies to your application submission.
COVER LETTER A cover letter is required.--Please attach it--as a
separate document for this position.-- The cover letter must also
describe your knowledge, skills, abilities, as they pertain to the
points bulleted in the job description listed above.-- Please
attach the cover letter to your application before submitting it
online or, if unable to attach to your application, fax it to the
contact number provided in the job posting. Your cover letter will
be--used to determine which applicants will advance to the
interview phase of the recruitment and selection process.--Omission
of any required documentation--will result in an incomplete
application and you will not receive further consideration.--
- In your cover letter, it is required to support your experience
and or/training that demonstrates your knowledge, skills and
abilities pertaining to the "desired strengths" listed in the job
- In addition, your cover letter should address--what knowledge,
skills and abilities will you bring to the position to cope with
the work the directorate does? NOTE: --Attaching a resume is not an
alternative to filling out the application in its entirety.
--Noting "see resume" or any similar response on any portion of
your application may lead to a determination your application is
incomplete and removal from consideration for this job posting.
Desirable Training and Experience: Benefits:Health and life
insurance; paid holidays and personal/sick leave accrual; Alaska
Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), City of Bethel utilities
discount. TO APPLY: Applications are only being accepted through
the Alaska Executive--website located at: Applications received by
the City of Bethel will be forwarded to the above. Official Website
of Bethel, Alaska 300 State Highway, P.O. Box 1388, Bethel, AK
99559 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (907) 543-2047
Keywords: City of Bethel, Alaska, New England , Finance Director, Accounting, Auditing , Bethel, Northeast
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!