Medical Student Clinical Education Coordinator
Company: Dartmouth College
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Posting date: 05/16/2023
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Number: 0559901
Position Title: Medical Student Clinical Education Coordinator
Department this Position Reports to: Medical Education
Hiring Range Minimum: $21.42 /hr
Hiring Range Maximum: $26.78 /hr
SEIU Level: Not an SEIU Position
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Employment Category: Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year: 12
Scheduled Hours per Week: 40
Location of Position:
Lebanon, NH 03756
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
Rubin level 4
Remote Work Eligibility?: Hybrid
Is this a term position?: No
If yes, length of term in months.:
Is this a grant funded position?: No
This position, reporting to the Clinical Curriculum Director and the Clerkship Directors, is primarily in charge of the daily operations of the clerkship, as well as the organization of each clerkship rotation throughout the academic year. The position is integral for the creation of a supportive learning environment needed to deliver a high quality, clinical educational experience that contributes to the medical students' success at achieving the program objectives.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp: Bachelors plus 3-5 years' experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
* Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working and advising/mentoring relationships.
* Ability to work creatively with various computer programs and the internet.
* Excellent organizational skills and ability to plan, coordinate, and prioritize work.
* Ability to make decisions and to work under pressure with changing schedules.
* Good verbal and written communication skills.
* Knowledge of a variety of computer applications and ability to learn new applications.
* Ability to work independently and apply sound judgment.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality.
* Ability to adapt to new methods of communication such as blogs, texting, podcasts.
* Professional conduct.
* Adaptability and flexibility.
* Ability to maintain workflow with changing priorities, frequent interruptions, and stressful situations while working with a positive attitude.
* Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse community.
Department Contact for Recruitment Inquiries: Alison Ricker
Department Contact Phone Number:
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title: Alison Ricker, Clinical Curriculum Director
Department Contact's Phone Number:
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Is driving a vehicle (e.g. Dartmouth vehicle or off road vehicle, rental car, personal car) an essential function of this job?: Not an essential function
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details, please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
Quick Link: https://searchjobs.dartmouth.edu/postings/67438
* Establishes and maintains rapport with departmental faculty, off-site preceptors, and house staff as appropriate.
* Functions as first-contact liaison to students, faculty, residents, community faculty, site administrators, and school administration for any issues or questions relating to the clerkship.
* Organizes and provides administrative and technical support for student small group sessions.
* Distributes clerkship didactic schedule to presenters, apprising all attendees of changes (as appropriate).
* Maintains clerkship block schedules, keeping students aware of assignments and lectures.
* Surveys sites to determine placement availability for each training block (as appropriate).
* Assists in the completion and collection of affiliation agreements (the contract between Geisel, community preceptors, and/or affiliated hospitals).
* Collaboratively supports central Office of Clinical Education tasks (separate immunization records from large batch scans, upload documentation to OASIS , track PPDs, BLS , housing grids, pager distribution, locker distribution and cleaning, etc.)
* Maintains familiarity with current presentation software and conferencing technology to allow student participation in sessions from distant locations.
* Finalizes and loads departmental letters of recommendation for Residency applications to ERAS .
* Assists with departmental educational activities as appropriate, if available, as determined by the Office of Clinical Education.
* Enters data into the systems that support the school's curriculum inventory and LCME reports.
* Participates in administering educational research projects, as needed.
* Maintains current and accurate clerkship-specific information in written and web-based formats.
Percentage Of Time: 35%
Student Education Coordination
* Manages day-to-day scheduling and logistical concerns of multiple education rotation assignments.
* Serves as initial contact for rotation information and scheduling, for faculty and students.
* Ensures LCME directives are met - mid-rotation feedback, student documentation of core clinical requirements, etc.
* Informs students, faculty, and administrative staff on the department clerkship program, electives, and sub-internship opportunities.
* Assists department-specific Medical Student Interest Group.
* Ensures students have ID card swipe access and other materials pertinent to the clerkship rotation.
* Develops and maintains effective program relationships with off-site faculty (preceptors) and facilities via telephone, electronic mail, and regular site visits.
* Works with staff and faculty responsible for sub-internships and electives to post curriculum materials onto the learning management system for the students.
* Assists departmental staff with course registration in the medical school's curriculum management system.
* Applies department and Geisel policies and procedures to departmental courses.
* Maintains student information for on-site and off-site clerkship curriculum via the medical school's learning management system.
* Monitors assignments and essential skills/conditions exposure to provide mid-rotation feedback, ensuring students in the Clerkship are receiving appropriate and designated training to meet medical training requirements.
* Maintains contact with hospitals and preceptors to convey information regarding student performance with the Clerkship Director.
* Regularly handles confidential or sensitive information, exercises discretion concerning its disposition.
* Serves as initial contact for rotation information and scheduling departmental electives and sub-internship rotations, for Geisel students as well as visiting students.
* Interprets, applies, and explains medical student policies and procedures to Geisel students as well as students from other institutions, American and International, regarding electives and sub internships.
* Supports curriculum development for electives and sub internships, facilitating electronic access to pertinent and required materials.
* Offers suggestions for efficiencies and/or improvements to the clerkship process, based on student feedback or other evidence.
Percentage Of Time: 35%
Evaluations, Exams, and Reports
* Administers the student evaluation process: monitors evaluations in OASIS on student performance from faculty and house staff at multiple facilities; coordinates and implements examinations; administers and proctors final exams.
* Gathers and compiles exam and evaluation data to prepare students' final grades for the Clerkship Director's review.
* Submits final grades to the Registrar/Dean's Office for students' permanent records.
* Prepares and distributes annual performance reports and thank you notes to faculty and preceptors.
* Prepares annual reports on clerkship site comparability, as well as other reports related to the clerkship operation.
Percentage Of Time: 15%
* Anticipates expenditures and generates corresponding purchase orders (preceptor payments, student housing, student awards).
Percentage Of Time: 5%
* Serves as an informal advisor and liaison for medical students, providing a wide range of personal and program assistance.
* Establishes an effective relationship with the students.
* Independently takes action or refers students to appropriate sources to meet their individual needs.
* Maintains contact with hospitals and preceptors and stays alert to and recognizes student performance and behavior problems.
* Facilitates resolution of problems or notifies program directors and advisors as appropriate.
* Communicates and supports the department values to foster inclusiveness and diversity.
Percentage Of Time: 5%
* Represents the department at the monthly Geisel Clinical Education Clerkship Directors meeting ( CECD ) and Clinical Education Coordinators Meeting ( CECC ).
* Attends departmental specific national meeting of Clerkship Directors and Coordinators.
* Networks with other coordinators, internally and nationally.
* Participates in and contributes to annual FERPA , VSAS , etc. trainings provided by the medical school.
* Coordinates and participates in regularly scheduled visits to community preceptor sites.
* Establishes an annual professional development action plan with supervisor, and carries out activities over the course of the year.
* Makes adjustments in work schedule to meet needs of position for evening commitments when required.
Percentage Of Time: 5%
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
Performs other duties as assigned
Keywords: Dartmouth College, New England , Medical Student Clinical Education Coordinator, Education / Teaching , Lebanon, Northeast
here to apply!