Company: Achievement First
Posted on: October 12, 2018
Start Date: July 2019
About the Role
We strongly believe that you learn best by doing, receiving support and guidance, and trying again. As a teacher in residence at Achievement First, you have a unique opportunity to receive high-quality training while gradually taking on more teaching responsibility. The two-year residency, a partnership between Relay Graduate School of Education (Relay GSE) and Achievement First, is designed specifically for recent college graduates and career changers who are looking for an innovative pathway into the teaching profession. The residency is for those who want to be at the center of this work, engaging with hard-working students with unlimited potential, while taking masters-level courses to become certified. Coursework is specifically designed to complement the role of being a new teacher at Achievement First. The teaching residency will lead to a culminating understanding of what it means - and what it takes - to be an effective classroom teacher.
You will become the driver of high-quality instruction that builds strong content knowledge and a lifelong love of learning. You will become your students' champion who believes all students are capable of greatness and achievement far beyond what society has been conditioned to accept. You will become a demander of excellence for yourself and your students, the warm and unyielding classroom presence that encourages and accepts nothing less than students' best and most thoughtful work. Upon successful completion of your first year, you will be able to demonstrate pedagogical mastery and have a clear pathway into a lead teaching position. Following the second year, you will receive a master's degree and teaching certification from Relay GSE.
At Achievement First, you will grow as a passionate and constant learner who thrives on feedback, enjoys regular one-on-one coaching and nurtures a voracious appetite for professional development. You will cultivate classroom cultures built on strong structures, communication, and lasting relationships. Every day, you will shake the hands and contribute to the education of children who will go on to become first-generation college students and return to our communities as the next generation of game-changers.
As a teacher in residence at Achievement First, your typical week would include the following, and so much more:
- Observe and co-teach in a Resident Advisor's classroom- a veteran teacher who serves as your mentor and coach
- Attend weekly Deliberate Practice with fellow Teachers in Residence across the network to practice and receive feedback on your execution of an upcoming lesson plan
- Lead Book Club with a group of 3-7 scholars daily
- Grade and analyze exit tickets to determine which scholars need small group intervention
- Stay after school to moderate a Quiz Bowl competition Responsibilities:
- Support outstanding academic achievement and student character development
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning environment that excites and invests students as they reach their full potential.
- Build classroom community and relationships with families, participating in a powerful team that ensures all students make outstanding academic progress.
- Support individual students through one-on-one tutoring or small group instruction
- Support lead teachers in one or more subject with grading, preparation of class materials and classroom management- taking on more teaching responsibility throughout the year as appropriate
- Assist the lead homeroom teacher in running a structured homeroom in the morning and serve as an advisor to 5-10 students
- Professional learning, development, and growth
- Collaborate with Resident Advisor to evaluate and improve mastery of instruction, culture building, and leadership skills
- Attend weekly teacher in residence professional development, team planning and data analysis meetings, and informal learning and development opportunities, in support of constant growth.
- Observe high-performing teachers throughout the school
- Complete graduate school coursework to remain on a track towards certification Skills and Characteristics
- A commitment to Achievement First's mission, deep love of content, and an unwavering belief that all students can and will succeed.
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- High level of personal organization and planning.
- Team player: maturity, humility, strong work ethic, follow-through, sense of humor, willingness to respond positively to feedback and a "roll-up-my-sleeves" attitude.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter. Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelor's degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 from a competitive college or university. Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here:
Keywords: Achievement First, New England , Teacher-in-Residence, Education / Teaching , Hartford, Northeast
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!