Company: Corning Inc.
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Company: Corning Requisition Number: 42936 Corning is one of the
world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160
years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty
glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have
created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique
combination of material and process innovation, and close
collaboration with customers to solve tough technology
As a leading developer, manufacturer, and global supplier of
scientific laboratory products for 100 years, Corning's Life
Sciences segment collaborates with researchers seeking new
approaches to increase efficiencies, reduce costs and compress
timelines in the drug discovery process. Using unique expertise in
the fields of materials science, surface science, optics,
biochemistry and biology, the segment provides innovative solutions
that improve productivity and enable breakthrough discoveries.
Scope of Position: In this role, you will be a subject matter
expert in Measurements and Inspection for the Corning Life Science
(CLS) Division Engineering Measurements group, support the group's
technology roadmap and portfolio, help drive fundamental
understanding and standardization across the division, support
collaboration across Corning. We look for you to establish,
prioritize, and execute a project portfolio that delivers new
technology and process capabilities in the areas of measurements
and inspection for manufacturing, product quality, automation and
equipment engineering to meet business objectives for
division-wide, multi-plant manufacturing projects, or key new
product initiatives. Deploy in-depth technical knowledge that solve
problems by creating and institutionalizing advanced fundamental
understanding in core technology area sat world class levels.
Maintain and advance core capabilities at world class levels.
Develop a strong internal network across all CLS manufacturing,
quality and engineering organizations, Research and Development,
Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering (MTE), other Corning
business units and key external affiliates to support the delivery
of engineering and innovative solutions in measurements and
inspection. Support the development and implementation of the
division measurements strategy and technology roadmap. Champion
Engineering Excellence tools (MEE, MIE, SI, PQA) and Engineering
Validation Compliance (cGMP). Ensure Corning's Intellectual
Property management process is followed, and any intellectual
property developed as part of a project is properly documented.
Consult and advise on projects and provide coaching / mentoring to
others in the division. Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Help establish a culture that values engineering capability,
technical depth, and deployment of scientific method and
institutionalize these learning's into measurement and inspection
systems to ensure sustainability. Help define and implement
engineering capability ownership plans and strategies that support
the division business and engineering objectives.
- Objectively assess business, product, and process needs.
- Help establish strategies and portfolios in the areas of
measurements and inspections for manufacturing, product quality,
automation and equipment that delivers engineering, innovative and
- Interpret business needs and incorporate them into project team
goals to form a well-articulated and executable project.
- Recognized as a subject matter expert within the measurement
and inspection engineering field and is sought out to provide
guidance on risks, resources and opportunities regarding
significant projects and technical issues, within CLS and
throughout the Corning.
- Work with internal SME's to lead the development and
implementation of the division measurements and inspection strategy
and technology roadmap. This effort will also include maintaining
an internal and external network for these different technologies,
understand the "State of the Art" both in the academia and in
industry and ensuring CLS is up to date.
- Develop a strong internal network across all CLS manufacturing
locations, Research and Development, Manufacturing Technology and
Engineering (MTE) and other Corning business units.
- Collaborate with product design group, quality and
manufacturing facilities to ensure effective use of GD&T
standards on product designs and engineering drawings.
- Review and assist in tolerance stack up analysis.
- Participate in identification of root cause of existing product
related quality issues and generate measurement/gauging solutions
as needed and help implement into manufacturing. Work closely with
manufacturing and quality groups to conduct manufacturing process
validations and support metrology needs of such.
- Be an advocate and role model for safety.
- Ensure that processes are being used rigorously: Innovation,
Process Excellence, Project Management, Safety/Environmental,
- Drive for Standardization and best practices.
- Coach and mentor engineering personnel as appropriate to build
and use skill sets to enhance the project team's
- Investigate prior art and document any Intellectual Property
developed as part of the project activities, document project
results through internal reporting means. Travel Requirements:
- Up to 25%, including International travel.
- Monday-Friday, standard business hours, 40+ hrs. Required
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical
Engineering Required Years and Area of Experience:
- Minimum of 7+years of engineering experience with demonstrated
success leading multi-disciplined project teams responsible for
developing new products or first / next generation measurements,
manufacturing processes, instrumentation, automation and machine
systems and transfer them to manufacturing. Required Skills:
- Experience in both early and late stage innovation
- Experience in technical collaboration with internal engineering
groups (Research and Development, Manufacturing Technology and
Engineering (MTE and other Corning business units) and
Manufacturing as well as external technology organizations and
- Experience with multiple manufacturing processes and/or
multiple functional groups.
- Ability to consult and advise on projects.
- Ability to coach and mentor others in the area of measurements
and inspections for manufacturing, product quality, automation and
- Track record of engineering accomplishment (e.g. experience
leading project teams and in delivering significant capital
projects to manufacturing, meeting continuous improvement goals,
making step change process improvements, managing innovation, and
expanding technical capability with a focus on key project
- Ability to translate Business Objectives into Technical and
- High level of technical knowledge and curiosity in the areas of
measurements and inspections for manufacturing, product quality,
automation and equipment engineering that will enable unique
solutions to technical challenges.
- High level of fundamental understanding of the CLS process and
materials to enable the development of cost-effective measurement
- Knowledge of design for manufacturing.
- In-depth understanding of product testing and analyzing
- In-depth GD&T Expertise.
- Knowledge of metrology concepts and gauge development
- Hands on working knowledge of metrology equipment such as CMM,
OMM, vision system inspections.
- Strong statistics concept and statistical data analysis
expertise for manufacturing world problem solving through tools
like Design of Experiments (DOE), ANOVA, Multivariate Analysis,
- Knowledge of machine controls / programming methods, systems,
production processes, data systems, and instrumentation.
- Understanding of how to integrate commercially available
technologies and processes such as measurements systems, vision
systems, robotics, and automation equipment into robust measurement
and inspection solutions.
- Able to effectively leverage external suppliers and system
integrators for detail design, build, and integration of robust
measurement and inspection solutions.
- Decision Making and Problem Solving -Able to review facts and
weigh options using a systematic approach to solve problems.
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
- Knowledge of Life Sciences products and technologies.
- Prior experience in a plant or division engineering group.
- Experience with industrial vision systems and scanning
- Performance Excellence training -green belt or higher
- Experience with ISO13485
- Project Management training.
- LEAN manufacturing training. Soft Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and
- Demonstrate strong work ethic.
- Display exemplary personal behavior.
- Respect all levels of the organization. This position does not
support immigration sponsorship. We prohibit discrimination on the
basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or
veteran status or any other legally protected status. We will
ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable
accommodation to participate in the job application or interview
process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other
benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request
Keywords: Corning Inc., New England , Measurements Engineer, Engineering , Kennebunk, Northeast
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!