Product Design Engineer
Company: Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc.
Posted on: January 16, 2022
If you are a current Ruger employee, please click here to apply
Job Description:Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.Product Design EngineerThis
position is available in: Newport, NHWe are in search of a Product
Design Engineer with 5+ years' experience in mechanical design to
work in our Newport, NH location. As an instrumental member of our
Manufacturing Team, the Product Design Engineer is expected to work
collaboratively with leadership, operations, employees, and other
functional areas, to promote a productive and amicable work
environment. This position provides design efforts from inception
through production for both new product development and existing
products. The right candidate must be ambitious and self-reliant
with a problem solving focus, and be able to function autonomously
with a "cradle to grave process ownership" focus. The individual
must also be able to adhere to the Company's core values of
Integrity, Respect, Innovation and Teamwork.Tasks:
- Use CAD (SolidWorks) to create and/or modify designs with Lean
Manufacturing Principles, Design for manufacturability and customer
satisfaction in mind.
- Utilize design analysis methods such as failure mode and
effects analysis (FMEA), design for manufacturability and assembly
(DFMA), stress analysis (both FEA & hand calculations), kinematic &
dynamic analysis of mechanisms, fatigue analysis, etc.
- Develop predictive mathematical models for simulating various
aspects of mechanism motion.
- Select proper materials for use in new product designs or to
improve existing designs.
- Prepare complete technical data packages that clearly state
design intent utilizing GD&T and proper drafting techniques per
- Conduct tolerance analysis studies to assure parts fit and
- Lead and participate in design and process reviews as
- Work with production personnel to dissect and solve design
issues as well as implement cost reduction ideas with regard to
- Prepare technical documents such as test procedures, technical
reports, component manuals, etc.
- Present product proposals to marketing, sales and management as
- Interact with vendors concerning parts they supply or propose
to supply to the company.
- Coordinate internally with marketing, sales, purchasing,
quality control, production and etc. as required.
- Use metrology equipment to inspect parts and assure design
intent is met.
- Conduct/oversee product testing.
- Identify and apply emerging technologies to new and existing
- Use PDM system for new product design and design
changes.Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an
individual must be of high integrity and maintain confidentiality
at all times. Other requirements and considerations include:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Five or more years of experience in mechanical design,
preferably with emphasis on mechanism, cam, and linkage synthesis &
- Proficient in CAD modeling, preferably using Solidworks
- Proficient in GD&T & creation of detail/assembly product
- Deep analytical thinking at the engineering theory level
- Excellent Problem Solving/Analysis skills
- Good Presentation Skills
- Good Project Management Skills, able to drive assignments to
- Ability to collaborate with others and communicate clearly and
- Self-motivated, multitasking and able to manage multiple tasks
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Good judgement/decision making skillsDesirable skills (but not
- Firearms design experience
- Firearms manufacturing experience
- Lean manufacturing and Lean product development experience
- Solid understanding of steel metallurgy & processing
- Solid understanding of various typical firearm manufacturing
processes such as machining, polymer injection molding, MIM,
stamping, investment casting, etc.
- Spring design experience
- High-speed video analysisAdditional Requirements:
Must be able to successfully pass a drug and background
screen.Salary: D.O.E-Please include your salary requirements with
your resume.Additional benefits to becoming a member of our team:
- Competitive compensation package including competitive salary,
profit share and bonus (bonus and profit share based on company
- Heath benefits including medical, dental, and vision
- Life and Retirement benefits including 401k match,
discretionary supplemental 401k contribution, basic and
supplemental life options, as well as short- and long-term
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Relocation Assistance is available for the right candidate that
is willing to relocate.
- Casual work environmentApplications will be reviewed as
received. If we have further interest, we will reach out to you
directly. Thank you, for your interest in Ruger Firearms.
Keywords: Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc., New England , Product Design Engineer, Engineering , Newport, Northeast
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!