Registered Nurse, Operating Room Nurse Residency Program
Company: Eastern Connecticut Health Network
Posted on: May 16, 2022
NEW EMPLOYEE SIGN ON BONUS ELIGIBLE POSITION!
POSITION SUMMARY:This is a nurse residency position that upon hire
or transfer into the program the nurse commits to a full time
learning opportunity. This program prepares the nurse for an
operating room staff nurse position as well as forms the foundation
required to successfully take pass the Association of periOperative
Registered Nurses (AORN) certification program. The program
commences with a six month AORN, Periop 101 on line didactic
program consisting of 27 modules, followed by a 3-5 month clinical
orientation. The nurse will be assigned to a nurse educator and
preceptor and earn 41.7 CEUs for completion of the online program.
Upon completion the nurse will be offered a full time position at
either Manchester Memorial Hospital or Rockville General Hospital.
A commitment to the Operating Room will be required for two
The candidate must be willing to undergo a rigorous application
process that consists of surgeon, manager, nursing education and
staff interviews, observation day and letters of recommendation.
The candidate must be willing to take and pass the Certified
Registered Operating Nurse (CNOR) certification exam within six
months from residency completion.
Utilizing the nursing process, provides high quality direct and
indirect patient -centered care. Coordinates patient care by
working collaboratively with the interdisciplinary team, patients
and families. Communicates, as appropriate, the patient's clinical
condition, responding quickly and accurately to changes in
condition or response to treatment. Demonstrates knowledge of the
principles of growth and development over the life span and the
skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient
population served. Promotes the profession of nursing and
professional practice through collegial support and interactions.
Reports to the Clinical Nurse Manager.
- Nursing experience preferred.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited school of Nursing and have
and maintain current a Registered Nurse license in the State of
- Must have certification in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Must successfully complete each learning module and pass all
Periop 101 course work with six months of hire.
- Must pass the Certified Registered Operating Nurse (CNOR)
certification exam within six months from residency
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English, both
verbally and in writing and possess basic computer skills.ESSENTIAL
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:Disclaimer: Job descriptions are not
intended, nor should they be construed to be, exhaustive lists of
all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions
associated with the job. They are intended to be accurate
reflections of the principal duties and responsibilities of this
position. These responsibilities and competencies listed below may
change from time to time.
1. Must successfully complete each learning module and pass all
Periop 101 course work with six months.
2. Must take and pass the Registered Operating Nurse (CNOR)
certification exam within six months from residency completion.
3. Performs population-specific comprehensive assessments and
re-assessments of the patient's condition and care needs including
the psychosocial, physical, educational and cultural aspects.
4. Utilizing assessment data, collaborates with surgical team to
define, implement and evaluate an individualized plan of care for
each surgical patient.
5. Follows the five (5) seven (7) medication rights and reduces the
potential for medication errors. Demonstrates knowledge of
medications and their correct administration based on age of the
patient and their clinical condition. Follows Perioperative
Services policy for medication safety.
6. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that
optimizes patient safety and promotes positive patient outcomes;
follows ECHN policy for Patient Identification, Surgical & Invasive
Procedures Site Identification, and Universal Protocol.
7. Documents the nursing process and responses to care in a timely
manner utilizing the appropriate tools.
8. Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function
under stressful situations. Utilizes critical thinking skills and
sound judgment in priority setting and delegation.
9. Demonstrates autonomous practice, consistent with evidence-based
standards. Pursues personal and professional growth and
development. Serves as a professional role model and mentor.
10. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and
development over the lifespan and the skills necessary to provide
age-appropriate care to patients served. Able to interpret data
about the patient status in order to identify each patient's
age-specific needs and provide care needed by the patient
9. Provides an accurate and pertinent report of the patient's
condition for safe transfer of care.
- Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated
instruments, sutures, supplies, and equipment for each surgical
- Demonstrates knowledge of and assures maintenance of aseptic
technique throughout the surgical procedure; identifies and
communicates, to surgical team, any breaks in technique and assists
with corrective actions.
- Effectively communicates with the surgeon in accounting for all
sponges, needles, and instruments; reports discrepancies
immediately to surgeon and Team Leader; appropriately documents all
- Accurately records, handles, labels and processes
- Demonstrates ability to effectively function in the scrub role.
(we have hired RNs that do not come with this experience)
Demonstrates willingness to effectively function in the scrub
Location: Eastern Connecticut Health Network - OR Nurse Residency
Schedule: Full-time, Day, 36
Keywords: Eastern Connecticut Health Network, New England , Registered Nurse, Operating Room Nurse Residency Program, Healthcare , Manchester, Northeast
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!