Software Engineer IV
Posted on: September 21, 2023
Markem-Imaje is a trusted world manufacturer of product
identification and traceability solutions, offering a full line of
reliable and innovative inkjet, thermal transfer, laser, print and
apply label systems. Markem-Imaje delivers fully integrated
solutions that enable product quality and safety, regulatory and
retailer compliance, better product recalls and improved
The role of the embedded software engineer is to design, implement,
validate, and maintain the embedded software for Markem-Imaje
current and future printers across a variety of print technologies
and application spaces using industry standard best practices. This
senior position includes both individual contribution as well as
leadership of other internal engineers and external partners. This
role requires collaboration and communication across engineering
disciplines, functions, and stakeholders.
Principal Activities / Duties / Responsibilities:
- Drive quality and efficiency within the embedded software team
by setting an outstanding example in terms of high-quality design,
code, and validation.
- C++ application development on real-time Linux operating
- Knowledge of FreeRTOS and/or Yocto Linux
- Use of tools such as GCC, Visual Studio, Eclipse, JSON, XML,
Python, Bamboo, SCONS, FitNesse, Lauterbach debuggers.
- Research, champion, and facilitate implementation and
improvement of best practices and tools to improve team efficiency,
effectiveness, and software quality.
- Promote extremely high software quality and reliability by
driving continuous improvement in the areas of unit testing, system
testing, automation, code analysis, etc.
- Lead and facilitate high-level software estimation to support
business planning activities.
- Provide a positive impact on the team with their work as well
as improve the overall productivity of the team.
- Mentor and teach less experienced software engineers to improve
their skills on the current project and software discipline.
- Drive continuous improvement in source control and continuous
integration by staying up to date with the latest industry
practices and tools.
- Interface with other engineering teams, stakeholders,
Product/Marketing team and customers to understand/specify the
application space and product/business requirement s.
- Act as a liaison between cross-functional teams and as a
spokesperson for Software Discipline.
- Drive the effectiveness of distributed teams through building
positive, cross-site collaboration within the software team.
- Lead design reviews and drive improvements in design and code
quality produced by internal and external engineers.
- Drive discipline in our specifications and validation
- Use outstanding communication and interpersonal skills to lead
and create efficient interfaces with third party engineering
- Build and apply a strong understanding of Markem-Imaje and our
competitors printing technologies and application spaces. Work
- Travel: up to 15%, international travel possible
- Mix of office and laboratory environment Education Required:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer
Engineering, or Software Engineering Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree with minimum 10 years of professional
experience developing software or master's degree with minimum 8
years of professional experience developing software.
- Demonstrable record of developing high-quality embedded
software for end-user products from requirement analysis to
- Demonstrable experience in a technical leadership role within a
- Demonstrable experience providing strong technical leadership
for external engineering partners is strongly preferred.
- Ongoing, advanced coursework and/or research to stay current is
- Cross-functional, multi-cultural, and/or distributed team
collaboration experience is preferable.
- Experience with Agile/Scrum development practices. Knowledge of
SAFe is a plus.
- Experience developing embedded software in an industrial
printing domain is a plus. Knowledge & Skills:
- Advanced architecture and design skills such as functional
decomposition, architectural viewpoints, UML/SYSML, and design
- Expert knowledge and experience with implementation skills such
as object-oriented programming, pair programming, memory
management, distributed systems programming, multi-threaded
programming, and on-target debugging.
- Advanced knowledge of verification skills such as test-driven
development, unit testing, code reviews, and defect
- Advanced requirement analysis and planning skills such as user
story development, backlog management, high-level estimation, and
- Advanced configuration management skills such as revision
control, continuous integration, continuous deployment, automated
build systems, release management, and technical
- General knowledge of real time operating system concepts and
experience in their use.
- Intermediate knowledge of electronics including
micro-controllers, memory, and peripherals as well as in reading
schematics and basic use of oscilloscopes/logic analyzers.
- Advanced knowledge of C++ application development on Linux
- Knowledge of FreeRTOS and/or Yocto Linux
- Advanced knowledge of the following tools is a plus: GCC,
Visual Studio, Eclipse, JSON, XML, Python, Bamboo, SCONS, FitNesse,
- Ability to lead root cause analysis of complex
cross-disciplinary engineering problems and resolve in creative and
- Ability to work autonomously with strategic direction as well
as part of a cross-disciplinary, international, product development
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication
skills, with an ability to influence and build strong, credible
- Strong organizational and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrable skills and experience facilitating team
interactions in an Agile environment.
- Experience evaluating open source and commercial off-the-shelf
software options is a plus.
- Aptitude in engineering excellence processes such as FMEA ,
Root Cause Analysis, Design of Experiments, etc. is a plus.
- FPGA (VHDL) programming experience is a plus.
- French/Italian/Polish language skills are a plus.
- Self-motivated and able to motivate others.
- Leads by example.
- Persuades and influences others through personal
- Practices and promotes organizational values of integrity,
innovation, respect, and reliability.
- Communicates openly and directly.
- Promotes and facilitates change with confidence.
- Leads and communicates effectively in an international
- Strong discipline in all conducted activities. Work Arrangement
Salary Range : $110,000.00 - $150,000.00
We consider several job-related, non-discriminatory factors when
determining the pay rate for a position, including, but not limited
to, the position's responsibilities, a candidate's work experience,
a candidate's education/training, the position's location, and the
key skills needed for the position. Pay is one of the Total Rewards
that we provide to compensate and recognize employees for their
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected
veteran status, disability, age, genetic information, or any other
factors prohibited by law.
Keywords: Markem-Imaje, New England , Software Engineer IV, IT / Software / Systems , Claremont, Northeast
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!