Posting date 05/28/2021 Application Review date 06/11/2021
Closing date Open Until Filled Yes Position Number 1127569 Position
Title Research Assistant I Department this Position Reports to
Biological Sciences Hiring Range Minimum $17.95/hr Hiring Range
Maximum $22.44/hr SEIU Level Not an SEIU Position FLSA Status
Non-Exempt Employment Category Regular Full Time Scheduled Months
per Year 12 Scheduled Hours per Week 40 Schedule Location of
Life Sciences Center, Hanover Campus
Is this a term position? No If yes, length of term in months.
N/A Is this a grant funded position? No Position Purpose
To set up and conduct laboratory tests and experiments in
support of research studies directed at Dr. Amodeo by applying
established methods, procedures, and techniques in genetics,
biochemistry, and quantitative imaging.
Description Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors plus 2-3 years' experience or equivalent combination of
education and experience Required Qualifications - Skills,
Knowledge and Abilities
- Competence in basic molecular biology methods, procedures and
techniques and equipment such as Western blotting, PCR, and
- Ability to work independently and apply critical thinking and
- Willingness to learn new techniques and curiosity about basic
cell biological questions.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Solid quantitative reasoning.
- Previous work with Drosophila.
- Experience with Matlab, ImageJ, Arivis, Excel, R or
- The ideal candidate is one who seeks professional development
as a scientist and is therefore interested in reading the current
scientific literature and conducting an independent research
project. She/he will take ownership of her/his project and work
semi-autonomously under the guidance of the PI and other group
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title Amanda Amodeo
Talent Acquisition Consultant Monique Henriques (646-3413) Equal
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, and verification of any required
academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results
acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not
automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Special Instructions to Applicants Quick Link https://searchjobs.dartmouth.edu/postings/57744
- Conducts experiments by applying established methods and
- Sets up and assists with research protocols and experiments
under the general guidance of the principal investigators and other
senior investigators in the laboratory; may have primary
responsibility for independently setting up, performing and trouble
shooting less complex experiments.
- Observes experimental results in progress and maintains written
records of activities and observations; applies past experience and
precedents to identify and troubleshoot problems.
- Anticipates unexpected findings and assists in trouble-shoots
- Reconciles results that are disparate from anticipated
findings; re-runs techniques as necessary.
- Reports experimental results to the principal investigator and
other senior laboratory personnel and assists in their
- Collaborates with the Principal Investigator in investigating
and developing modifications to techniques and documents all new
techniques developed in the laboratory.
- Adheres to laboratory safety requirements including general and
chemical/hazardous waste safety disposal methods
Percentage Of Time 80% Description
- Collects and analyzes data resulting from
- Summarizes results and prepares progress reports for oral
presentation at laboratory meetings.
- Prepares appropriate and understandable representations of data
such as graphs, charts, tables, statistical summaries, etc.
- Contributes to the preparation of scientific manuscripts by
drafting portions of the text, preparing graphs, tables, and
- Conducts literature searches to assist in establishing new
Percentage Of Time 10% Description
- Accomplishes day-to-day care and housekeeping of
- Assess the need for and orders all supplies and reagents needed
- Assists in the maintenance of laboratory equipment and safety
records, and in the preparation of routine reagents.
- Monitors laboratory equipment and instrument performance;
obtains maintenance and repair as necessary.
- Maintains computerized records associated with laboratory
- Instructs others in laboratory methods, procedures, and
techniques and provides technical guidance and direction as
Percentage Of Time 5% Description
- Assist in the maintenance of transgenic Drosophila stock
- Communicates respectfully with a diverse community.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Percentage Of Time 5%
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
others. -- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed to Apply